In a Nutshell
– We make three wines based upon Cariñena / Carignan in Truqui
– Vigno is from a section further down along the creek
– We work this small bit with a grower partner as we have done for a decade now
– Near the creek this section has terrific drainage and thus low yield and concentration
– There is a dash of Syrah in the blend
This wine was grown by a small farmer in the Maule. It was farmed by hand and horse with traditional methods of dry-farming 70+ year old vines with vines. It was fermented naturally in small tanks with open-tops. Caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was aged in barrels over two winters— barrels of three or more uses. This wine is a tribute to the resilience of the ploughmen farmers of the Maule who have been stewards of the vines since colonial times.
Spice and mineral-accented aromas of red and blue fruit joined by slowly emerging violet and rhubarb notes. Sappy and concentrated but lithe, offering energetic black raspberry, spice cake and floral pastille flavors and a bracing, refreshingly bitter suggestion of blood orange that adds bite to the back half. Finishes smooth, sweet and long, with resonating floral and spice notes and supple tannins adding shape and gentle grip. Complex and expansive.
- VarietalCarignan, Mataró
- VintageSince 2010
- D.O.Empedrado - Maule Valley
- Bottles filled4 500 approx.
- CATEGORY Gran Cru